2 de setembro de 2015

The future you want!

If you read the whole article, you will know how to choose activities that will make the biggest impact in your life.

Picture this:
Imagine that it doesn't matter if you come from a wealthy or humble family.
Imagine that your success is not based on your background.

It's possible and it is all based on your long-term perspective.

Below I will tell you about:
- A new way to define successful and unsuccessful people.
- A way to create the future you want.
- Three questions that you have to ask yourself daily.

If you can determine your success, what are you waiting for? Keep reading.

♦♦

Successful vs Unsuccessful people

I've met people who are willing to neglect some activities to pursue a goal. I will put my friend Jorge Aparicio in this category.

On the other hand, I have had the chance to meet people who just live in the present. Backpackers I've met before (sadly, I don't remember their names).

Both people are fine if what they do is in accordance to their picture of happiness. But in my case I opted for a middle point.

The people I admire the most are Research Professors (e.g. Prof. Yong P. Chen). I consider them successful people, for they achieved their goals.

I've noticed that successful people delay short term gratification. They try to improve themselves each day, and as a result they get to achieve their goals. (I'll name some people from Quora: James Clear, James Altucher, Howie Reith, etc.)

Hence, a successful person is the one who gets to achieve their goals.

As a consequence, unsuccessful people are the ones who don't get to achieve their goals.

The latter usually idle around at working hours. They procrastinate, which at the end causes them frustration.

I believe the one who wins is the one who maximizes her happiness, and for successful people that means achieving their goals.

Successful people don't wait until the day before the deadline to try to complete the whole work of a month. Successful people allocate time for a task.

Successful people create the future they want...

♦♦

The future you want


One sunny afternoon Alfredo told me that he wished he could have been born in a wealthy family. That afternoon I didn't have the right words to support him. Weeks after I introduced to him to the long-term perspective idea.

Listen carefully: 'your long-term perspective is way more important than your background.' (D. Carnegie, A. Lincoln, etc. made each of these words count).

How you see yourself into the future is what will determine how far you can reach in life.

This is how you relate the future with the present:
- Actions with high impact in my future are of high value and are needed to be done well.
- Actions with low impact or nothing at all in my future are of low value and no need my attention at all.

So, the importance of a task is measured from the impact it will have in your future.

It is the future that shapes your present.

I've noticed that successful people see years in the future and make sure that their actions in the present are in coherence with the future they want.

That is how they shape their lives. This I how shaped my life. And, you can give it a try too.

Now, I would like to relieve some tension.

There are a thousand of things to do. Probably, you will never be able to catch up with all the activities that you have to do or want to do. But, at least focus on the important activities and you will be happy for the time being.

Just remember that,
Time is going to pass anyway. How you use it is what matters.
Fortunately there are some easy ways to remind ourselves to always work on the important activities...

♦♦

Always ask yourself these three questions 

These are the questions that will make you choose the activities that will have the biggest impact in your life.

1. What are my highest value activities?

I usually try to apply this question to every aspect of my life. What is it that I can do to have the biggest impact in my life?

I do it on topics regarding relationships, work, school, etc.

Ask yourself this. Write down the ideas. Then ask your girlfriend, family, co-workers, etc. Make sure to align your point of view with one of them.

This is how you choose your important activities.

2. What can I and only I do that if done well will make a real difference?

If there are tasks that only you can do that will create indispensability.

If the tasks are done well it will maximize your outcome.

This second question will allow you to discriminate among the important activities and choose the first one to work on.

3. What is the most valuable use of my time right now?

Even among important activities you have to prioritize them.

This question makes you think whether if you are working in the ugliest frog of all.

Remember that,
There is never enough time to do everything, but there is always time to do the most important things.

♦♦

Once I learned how to weight the consequences of my actions, I started to increase my productivity. My procrastination reduced to very low levels. The best part was that I knew that I was always working on something that would help to build my future.

I usually use the first question when I am making my daily list. The second question is a little bit more tricky and requires a lot of effort and good eye. But, I try to ask myself the three questions throughout the day.

I really believe in these words 'work hard, play hard'.

♦♦

This post originally appeared at: Grad life au Canada

In this post I put down some own comments about the fourth chapter of the book mentioned below.

Author: Brian Tracy
Type of book: Self development, time-management

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário